The Department of Mass Housing was established to be responsible for and effectively co-ordinate the execution of the Mass Housing scheme in accordance with the Abuja Master Plan. The Department is also aimed at achieving the following:
- To Streamline the opportunities in the sub-sector for better results and to the benefit of the residents.
- To Streamline the uncoordinated Private and Public Sector operators involved in Mass Housing Projects in the FCT.
- To effectively Co-ordinate and Re-direct the Mass Housing Programmes.
- To Promote the organized Private Sector as the pivot on which the scheme is driven in line with the vision of the Federal Government.
The Roles and Functions of the Department include:
- Developing the FCT Housing Policies and Regulations in line with the existing National and FCT Laws, Regulations and Policies. This is aimed at facilitating the regulation of affordable Mass Housing Developments by Public and Private Investors.
- Prepare Manuals for the provision of affordable Housing and basic infrastructure in accordance with FCT Regulations and National Building Codes for sustainable human settlement. These Manuals will specify standards for the planning, design and development of Housing in accordance with the FCT Regulations and the National Building Code.
- Establish criteria, systems and procedure for the development of new housing schemes within the framework of a new policy by the organized Private Sector.
- Establish a methodology for engaging stakeholders (in the areas of communication and consultation).
- Establish benchmarks and checklists for all developers to satisfy, prior to the commencement of any mass housing development discussions. This will include an assurance of the developer's managerial, technical and financial abilities.
- Carry out additional functions as may be necessary for the achievement of the objectives of the FCT Housing Policy.